Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0 Final Release Available 2001-08-27
Linux World Expo San Francisco, August 27, 2001 - In response to overwhelming demand by users everywhere, MandrakeSoft proudly announces the immediate availability of Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0 final release. This version builds upon the highly successful Mandrake Linux 8.0 release for the x86 architecture.
Like Apple, MandrakeSoft strives to offer the most user-friendly solution to its customers. Thanks to Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0, the widely acclaimed Mandrake Linux distribution is now available for PowerPC G3 and G4.
Features and benefits of Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0
Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0 includes MandrakeSoft's standard features:
- Entirely graphical and user-friendly installation with DrakX
- Easy partitioning without losing data with DiskDrake
- Configuring everything in one place: the Mandrake Control Center
- Automatic management of software packages dependencies and updates with Software Manager & URPMI
- Supermount, allowing transparent access to CDs, disks and other peripherals
Major Open Source tools and updates include:
- Improved modem detection
- CD Rom boot for almost all machines
- Post installation X configuration via XFdrake; additional support for laptop models TiBook, iBook2 and Pismo
- DrakX installer suits "OldWorld" machines, alternate bootloader setups and complicated partition map setups
- Latest security updates, including telnet and LDAP
- Kernel 2.4.4 with PPC specific patches for video drivers
- Patched xmms for wave/mp3 files
- KDE 2.2, Koffice 1.1 RC2, GNOME 1.4, evolution 0.9
Moreover, Mandrake Linux PPC is G3-optimized for increased performance.
For more information on Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0, please visit the Linux-Mandrake website:
Pricing and Availability:
You can find Mandrake Linux 8.0 PPC currently available on MandrakeStore.com for $10.00 + shipping and handling.
In few hours, Mandrake Linux PPC 8.0 will also be available for free download on:
MandrakeSoft provides a trusted interface between users of information technology and open technologists. The company offers customers in the small office, home office (SoHo), small and medium size enterprise, government and educational sectors a set of GNU Linux and Open-Source software and related services, user-friendly and highly competitive information technologies at a very attractive total cost of ownership. In addition, MandrakeSoft offers technologists committed to open software and courseware a trusted channel to offer their services.
The company has technologists in over 20 countries, and entered Paris Euronext Marché Libre on July 30th, 2001 (Euroclear code : 4477PA).
The Mandrake Linux distribution, which is available in over 40 languages, became the leader in US retail sales, with 33.9% of the market for the first quarter, 2001 (PC Data) and received the awards for "Best Product of the Year" and "Best Linux-Distribution/Server" at LinuxWorld Expo 99, as well as the PC Answers Platinum Award in April 2000, the Linux Magazine Editor's Choice Award in September 2000 and the Chip Magazine "Best Technique and Winner of the Test" in December 2000.
"Born on the Internet" in late 1998, MandrakeSoft established headquarters in Pasadena (U.S.), Montreal (Quebec), England, Germany and Paris (Europe). For more information, please visit the Web site:www.mandrakesoft.com.