Mandrake Linux 8.1 Packs Now Available 2001-10-22
Latest from leading Linux distribution is easiest to install, includes thousands of applications.
Pasadena and Paris - October 22, 2001 - MandrakeSoft (www.mandrakesoft.com), the publisher of the powerful and user-friendly Mandrake Linux operating system, announces the immediate availability of boxed sets of Mandrake Linux Version 8.1 in retail outlets throughout the world and on www.mandrakestore.com. There are four versions of the 8.1 product, each designed to suit user needs: Mandrake Linux Standard Edition 8.1, Mandrake Linux PowerPack Edition 8.1, Mandrake Linux ProSuite Edition 8.1, and Mandrake Linux ProSuite Gold.
According to Frédéric Bastok, co-founder and CTO of MandrakeSoft, "Our user-friendly and powerful solution, which includes over 2500 applications, suits both the server and the desktop markets perfectly. Moreover, our range of offerings is expanded with major new features such as MandrakeOnline, MandrakeSoft's new service. With the top level support of MandrakeExpert, Mandrake Linux 8.1 users benefit from quick response technical support of MandrakeSoft's experts."
Mandrake Linux 8.1 is available at leading software retailers and on www.MandrakeStore.com:
Mandrake Linux Standard Edition: The key to Linux. Both beginners and experienced users appreciate the easy-to-use graphical installer which features automated hardware detection. It includes 3 CDs plus detailed Installation Guide and 30 days of MandrakeExpert web technical support and MandrakeOnline.
Suggested Retail Price: $29
Available: October 22, 2001
Mandrake Linux PowerPack Edition: All the power of Linux. PowerPack includes the best Open Source and commercial applications currently available for Linux with easy to use wizards and customized configuration tools. PowerPack 8.1 is ideally suited for setting up a full-featured workstation.
It includes 7 CDs packaged with thousands of the latest Linux applications, a comprehensive Installation & User Guide, a detailed Reference Manual, 30 days of phone support and 60 days of MandrakeExpert and MandrakeOnline.
Suggested Retail Price: $69
Available: November 12, 2001
Mandrake Linux ProSuite Edition: The Linux server solution. Designed for small and medium businesses, Mandrake Linux ProSuite Edition 8.1 has been specifically customized to include all the necessary tools to build a Linux Server Solution. ProSuite Edition 8.1 scales easily for large enterprise deployments. It includes 9 CDs (with a special Mandrake Server CD) + 1 DVD packaged with thousands of the latest Linux applications and server configuration wizards, Extended Server Support including 60 days phone support and 90 days of MandrakeExpert and MandrakeOnline. As an added benefit there are 2 update CDs during the product life.
Suggested Retail Price: $149
Available: November 12, 2001
Mandrake Linux ProSuite Gold Edition: This special version of the ProSuite Edition includes:
Suggested Price: $1190
- Mandrake Linux ProSuite Edition 8.1 for Intel's Itanium Processors (IA64)
- Extended server support by phone, web, mail and fax and MandrakeOnline for one year.
Available in mid November only in the USA, France and Germany through MandrakeStore
Mandrake Linux OEM Edition 8.1 and Master CD (to make their pre-installation easier) are also available for desktops & servers at leading hardware vendors. For more information: email@example.com.
New features of Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeOnline, MandrakeSoft's new service offers many possibilities:
- MandrakeExpert enables Mandrake Linux users to benefit not only from community technical support but also from top-level support furnished by MandrakeSoft's experts (48 hour response time).
- Alerts on security or package updates according to hardware and software configuration
- Email alias "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Special rebates for MandrakeExpert, MandrakeSoft's online top-level support platform www.MandrakeExpert.com
Best graphical interfaces
MandrakeSoft continues to build on its promise of offering a fully graphical Linux operating system for both the novice and professional user with the latest leading Open Source environments.
Mandrake Linux 8.1 contains the latest versions of the best graphical interfaces, including:
- KDE 2.2.1, the user-friendly environment with the most integrated and easy-to-use features:
- Kmail: The integrated and powerful KDE mail client now includes support for IMAP servers and many ergonomic enhancements.
- KOffice 1.1: The complete and light-weight KDE office suite has undergone major changes since version 1.0 (complete rewrite of Kword, inclusion of a new chart application called KVivio, improvement of MS Office filters,...).
- GNOME 1.4.1, the most powerful user environment with many enhancements such as:
- Nautilus 1.0.4: The new GNOME file browser features major speed improvements and many ergonomic enhancements based on user feedback.
- Mozilla 0.9.4: The integrated Web Browser and communication suite now has dramatic speed improvements and better usability.
- Mandrake Control Center, the one-stop location to setup and configure entire machines with:
- LogDrake: An easy tool to monitor computer activity (through logs)
- Embedded root console available for maintenance purposes
- MandrakeFirstTime: An easy-to-use wizard that helps setup desktop environment (KDE, GNOME, etc.), choose a theme and configure email settings.
- DrakNet: A tool to easily configure networks or Internet connections, including DSL.
Complete and powerful server solutions
- Enterprise Kernel 2.4.8: This special edition of the Kernel comes with native support for HI Memory (>1024 MB) and SMP (Symetric Multi Processing)
- Full support for Journalized FileSystems: XFS, Ext3, ReiserFS and JFS come in standard ensuring files integrity
- Special version of Samba: Combined with XFS and latest kernel, Samba 2.2.1.a allows Windows® file sharing with the same fine-grained permissions as Windows® NT
- PHP Groupware: A full-featured groupware suite accessible anywhere from a simple web browser with secure connection
Easy-to-use installation and system management utilities
- Server configuration wizards for a faster and more convenient use (Web Mail, Firewall, File & Printer sharing, ...)
- Mandrake Server CD: A complete server orientated distribution featuring the best Open Source server software combined with Mandrake Linux easy-to-use DrakX installer
- Web Administration with Webmin: allows easy configuration DNS, Samba, NFS, local/remote file systems and more from any computer with a secure browser connection
- URPMI: Automated software management systems URPMI provides a hassle-free way to install and upgrade applications.
- Auto-Install tool: Servers and workstations are duplicated effortlessly with the new "auto install" feature.For further information: http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/81
MandrakeSoft provides a trusted interface between users of information technology and open source developers. The company offers customers in the small office, home office (SoHo), small and medium size enterprise, government and educational sectors a set of GNU Linux and Open-Source software and related services, and user-friendly and highly competitive information technologies at a very attractive total cost of ownership. In addition, MandrakeSoft offers technologists committed to open software and courseware a trusted channel to offer their services.
The company has technologists in over 20 countries, and entered the Paris Euronext on July 30th, 2001 (Euroclear code: 4477.PA; Reuters code: MAKE.PA).
Awards for the Mandrake Linux solution include:
Linux Magazine "Editor's Choice" Award in September 2001 & 2000
CNET editors' choice award in June 2001
Chip Magazine "Best Technique and Winner of the Test" in December 2000
"Best Product of the Year" and "Best Linux Distribution/Server" at LinuxWorld Expo 99
PC Answers Platinum Award in April 2000
"Born on the Internet" in late 1998, MandrakeSoft established headquarters in the U.S.A., Montreal, England, Germany and France. Please visit the Web site, http://www.mandrakesoft.com for more information.###
Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. Mandrake and the Mandrake logo are trademarks of MandrakeSoft. All other trademarks and copyrights are owned by their respective companies.